Then and Now - the History of the Aspen Community Church

For generations, Aspen children have participated in the Nativity pageant at the Aspen Community Church. Dressed in homemade costumes, they trooped up the stairs from the Sunday school room to the sanctuary. Led by the archangel, there were Joseph and Mary (with a doll playing the baby Jesus), shepherds, wise men, and a bevy of little angels. Sometimes the sheep would be made of cardboard; a few times they were played by lambs from one of the kids' 4-H projects. The children's faces were always glowing with excitement and wonder. 

The church is one of Aspen's most distinctive buildings, a massive structure built of Frying Pan Valley sandstone, with a large round tower and buttresses in the style of an ancient castle. Located on the corner of Aspen and Bleeker streets, the originally Presbyterian church was built in 1890 at a cost of $20,000. As imposing as the exterior may be, the sanctuary has an unexpected poetic beauty. There are oaken pews and colorful stained-glass windows. 

The church's cornerstone is a great white block that strongly contrasts with the red walls. It encases a vault containing a Bible, a copy of the official Presbyterian newspaper, some city papers, and the names of all the church officers and workmen who completed the building. 

In the 1920s as the population of Aspen dwindled, the small Presbyterian and Methodist congregations merged into a federated church. In 1934, the federated church in Loma Colorado became Presbyterian and the Aspen Federated Church became Methodist, and the church is served by Methodist pastors to this day.

 

 

 

 

 

Historic Church Restoration

For a wonderful "inside look" at our recent major exterior restoration work, led by Construction Project Manager Steve DeClute, please see this video from Grassroots TV! (52 min.)
Aspen Community Church presents: 'Restoration Hard Hat Tour' - August 16, 2013

Grassroots TV - Aspen Community Church presents: 'Restoration Hard Hat Tour' August 16, 2013